Metabololism is at the epicenter of aging, in particular as we recognize that mitochondrial function underlies age-related diseases often. Metabolomics has been a particularly useful tool for delineating markers of aging and pathways that are perturbed via this process resulting in new targets and biomarkers for monitoring and potentially halting the pathophysiological aspects of aging.
- R H Houtkooper, et al., The Metabolic Footprint of Aging in Mice. Sci Rep, 2011. 1(134.
- M Lu, et al., Neuronal Sirt1 Deficiency Increases Insulin Sensitivity in Both Brain and Peripheral Tissues. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2013. 288(15): 10722-10735.
- C. Menni, et al., Metabolomic Markers Reveal Novel Pathways of Ageing and Early Development in Human Populations. International Journal of Epidemiology, 2013.
- Lustgarten, M S, et al. Metabolites Related to Gut Bacterial Metabolism, Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor-Alpha Activation, and Insulin Sensitivity Are Associated with Physical Function in Functionally-Limited Older Adults. Aging Cell, 2014.
- Randhawa, M, et al. Metabolic signature of sun exposed skin suggests catabolic pathway overweighs anabolic pathway. PLoS One, 2014. 9(3):e90367.
- Yu, Z, et al. Rapamycin and Dietary Restriction Induce Metabolically Distinctive Changes in Mouse Liver. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 2014.
- CREE, M G, et al., Intramuscular and Liver Triglycerides Are Increased in the Elderly. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 2004. 89(8): 3864-3871.
- Paige, L A, et al., A Preliminary Metabolomic Analysis of Older Adults with and without Depression. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry, 2007. 22(5): 418-23.
- Lawton, K A, et al., Analysis of the Adult Human Plasma Metabolome. Pharmacogenomics, 2008. 9(4): 383-97.
- Hurko, O, et al., Ablation of the Locus Coeruleus Increases Oxidative Stress in Tg-2576 Transgenic but Not Wild-Type Mice. Int J Alzheimers Dis, 2010. 2010(864625.
- Steffens, D C, et al., Metabolomic Differences in Heart Failure Patients with and without Major Depression. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol, 2010. 23(2): 138-46.
- M S Lustgarten, et al., Branched Chain Amino Acids Are Associated with Muscle Mass in Functionally-Limited Older Adults. Journal of Gerontology, 2013.
- Perrone, C E, et al., Genomic and Metabolic Responses to Methionine-Restricted and Methionine- Restricted, Cysteine-Supplemented Diets in Fischer 344 Rat Inguinal Adipose Tissue, Liver and Quadriceps Muscle. Journal of Nutrigenetics and Nutrigenomics, 2012. 5): 132-157.
- Fok, W C, et al., Combined Treatment of Rapamycin and Dietary Restriction Has a Larger Effect on the Transcriptome and Metabolome of Liver. Aging Cell, 2013.
- M S Lustgarten, et al., Serum Glycine Is Associated with Regional Body Fat and Insulin Resistance in Functionally-Limited Older Adults. PLoS ONE, 2013. 8(12): e84034.
- C Quijano, et al., Oncogene-Induced Senescence Results in Marked Metabolic and Bioenergetic Alterations. Cell Cycle, 2012. 11(7): 1383-92.